Sunday, February 15, 2009

What is Women's Studies?

My Future:
To be completely honest, I want to be a housewife. Yes, that's right. I want to cook the meals, clean the house, raise the kids, and watch the soaps. I want to drive the Range Rover, show off the diamond ring, and flash a smile at the workaholic singles who wish they had my life.
In reality, though, I'll probably be a journalist working out in the field. One thing's for sure, though... I want to make a difference in a child's life, whether it be my own or someone else's.

OU Courses:
The course which interests me most is the Motherhood and Society course which is taught online. It is a Women's Studies course, which surprised me because I always thought that most of the Women's Studies majors were against becoming mothers.
I want to take courses that will prepare me for the real world. Examples: Etiquette courses; Computer Programming; Life After OU.

Gender Role:
Gender will play a significant role in my future, regardless of what the future holds for me. If I do get my dream life with the successful husband and two kids in high-class elitist gated community land, I would be the woman that all other women learn to hate.
If I become the journalist, I will be the one who is pitied. Poor little Blondie, what went wrong? Why are you so unwanted that you must work for a living?
Despite what is said, the stereotype of housewife and provider husband still hold true to this day. Although we don't talk about it, all of my unmarried female friends and relatives envy the phrase "Will you be my bride's maid?" and "Can you help me? I think we're having a baby!" because it reminds us of two things: how much we wish it were us, and how alone we are in our position of singleness.

Work History
In all of my past jobs, I have had to deal with customers thinking they are better than me since I am serving them. They judge me. Half of them didn't tip, and those that did forgot that I made less than 3 dollars per hour. This would have bothered me less if they hadn't been ogling my uniform (since I am a cocktail waitress, my employers always think less is more and tipping will be better if they shorten our skirts).
I no longer work in the service industry. I am in college to better my circumstances, and it is my hope that if I don't find that "perfect man" at least I won't have to serve any more "somebodies" who make me feel inadequate.

This exercise reminds me a lot of Chapter 4 in the F-word. After doing this exercise, it has dawned on me: I am a victim of circumstance. What circumstance, you ask? Gender inequality.

This is made even more interesting by the fact that in the poll discussed in the book, the number one on the "Top Ten Social Issues" is Gender equality.

On page 74 of Chapter 4, Emily says exactly what my fear is ...
"pressure from two fronts: One telling you to be a mother, a wife, the traditional caretaker. The other part of society telling you no, be a career woman and be strong. It's very confusing and the messages are so mixed. It's sort of like society doesn't know what it wants us to be."

No comments: