Monday, April 27, 2009

Fighting Anorexia

     Anorexia and depression is an issue that I hold very close to my heart. I think everybody deals with body issues and should be concerned about people who suffer from these debilitating diseases. Because I think the two go hand-in-hand, I believe it is important to treat both the cause (depression) and the effect (anorexia). 
     An organization which fights against these diseases is right here in Oklahoma. The National Eating Disorders Organization (NEDO) located in Tulsa combats a number of diseases that are central to women, and anorexia is included in the list along with depression.
     The thing I love the most about Laureate, the name of the site, is that they run with the philosophy of "treat the whole patient, body and mind." This concept is central to our readings from this semester because in both FIFE and The F Word the concept of accepting women the way they are is constantly emphasized. By learning to love yourself, both body and mind, a person learns to accept who they are and be okay with themselves. 
     Volunteering for this cause is a goal of mine. The problem is that they are located in Tulsa, but because I plan on moving to Tulsa for an internship, the possibility of becoming involved with the organization in the future is definitely available for me. 

No comments: